Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- Prep time 45 Minutes
- Cook time: 6 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Total time 7 Hours
- Serves 6
Mashed Potato Topping
- 1kg (2.2 lb) potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 60g (2.1 oz) unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp cream
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 500g (1.1 lb) ground lamb
- 50 ml (1.7 fl oz) red wine
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp thyme, chopped
- 2 tsp parsley, chopped
- 250ml (8.5 fl oz) beef stock
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Place the potatoes in a deep pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer to a bowl. Mash the potatoes while slowly adding in the butter and cream.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Put aside.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, add the oil.
- Once hot, add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrot. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add the ground lamb and cook until browned. Add the red wine and simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a slow cooker, add the lamb mixture, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, thyme, parsley, and beef stock. Season to taste.
- Combine the cornstarch with two tablespoons of water. Stir into the slow cooker.
- Top the lamb mixture with the mashed potatoes.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- To turn this dish into a cottage pie simply replace the ground lamb with ground beef.
- The wine is optional and does not need to be added.
- Ground lamb is known as lamb mince in some countries.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!