Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Sausage and Sauerkraut Recipe
- Prep time 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 6 Hours
- Total time 6 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Serves 4
- 800g (1.8 lb) polish sausage, sliced into 1-2 cm (0.5-1 inch) pieces
- 500g (1.1 lb) sauerkraut, drained
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup lager beer
- Add all the ingredients into a slow cooker and stir slightly.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- The polish sausage can be replaced with some regular pork sausages or Italian sausages. Both will work fine, but I highly recommend that you pick up some kielbasa.
- If you’re not a fan of beer, then this can be swapped for something like chicken stock or water.
- I recommend using a lager beer, but you can swap it to something more to your liking. Just keep in mind a heavier beer such as stout, may not work as nicely.
- The brown sugar is important as it helps takes a bit of the bitterness away from the sauerkraut and beer.
- If you're not a fan of sauerkraut, you can try replacing this with just regular cabbage. This substitution will make the dish less bitter and might appeal to more people.
- You don't need to have this dish with any extra side dishes as it is perfect on its own. I do sometimes like to have it with some fresh bread so I can soak up all those tasty juices.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!