Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Refried Beans Recipe
- Prep time 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 8 Hours
- Total time 8 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Serves 8
- 3 cups dry Pinto beans or red kidney beans, soaked and rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded & diced
- 2 tsp garlic crushed
- ½ Tbsp cumin, ground
- 2 tsp salt
- 6 cups water
- If you're using dry red kidney beans, boil them over the stove for a minimum of ten minutes. Drain and rinse before adding them to the slow cooker.
- Add all the ingredients into a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 8 hours.
- Drain the cooking liquid into a spare bowl. (Don’t discard)
- Using a potato masher or immersion blender, mash the beans until smooth. Slowly add the cooking liquid back in to get to the consistency you like.
- Season to your liking.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- If the mixture is too thick, then add some water to help thin it out a bit.
- The pinto beans don’t need to be soaked beforehand as we’re cooking them for a long time. Just make sure you give them a good rinse before adding them to the slow cooker.
- Dry red kidney beans can become toxic. So, ensure that you boil them for a minimum of ten minutes to remove any toxins before adding them to a slow cooker. I also only recommend cooking them on high.
- You can use either pinto or red kidney beans to achieve pretty good results with this slow cooker refried beans recipe. I haven't tested it with any other type of bean, so keep this in mind if you want to use something else.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!