Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Pork Stew Recipe
- Prep time 30 Minutes
- Cook time: 8 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Total time 8 Hours & 45 Minutes
- Serves 8
- 1kg (2.2 lb) pork shoulder, cubed
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 250ml (8.5 fl oz) red wine
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 250g (9 oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 400g (14 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 500ml (17 fl oz) chicken stock
To make this recipe gluten-free, swap the plain flour for either cornstarch or gluten-free plain flour.
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Coat the cubed pork in the flour.
- In a frying pan over high heat, add the oil.
- Once the oil is hot, sear the pork until browned. Place the meat to the side.
- Add the red wine to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Transfer both the wine and pork to the slow cooker.
- In the slow cooker, add the rest of the ingredients and gently stir.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- If you’re running low on time, you can simply skip the browning of the meat and the cooking of the wine. I would reduce the amount of wine you use by a quarter.
- Cut the vegetables and meat to the size that you like them. For example, if you want an extra chunky stew, then cut them large.
- Stews are super flexible, so feel free to experiment with different vegetables and flavorings.
- The stew should cook to be thick enough. However, if you want it to be thicker, then you will need to thicken it using cornstarch.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!