Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Poached Pears in White Wine
- Prep time: 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 4 Hours
- Total time: 4 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Serves: 8
- 750 ml (25.4 fl oz) white wine
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ Tbsp vanilla essence
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10 cardamom pods
- 8 pears, peeled
- In a slow cooker, mix the sugar, white wine and vanilla.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, pears, and the cardamom pods.
- Cook for 4 hours on low or until the pears are tender.
- Serve the pears with a scoop or two of the poaching liquid.
- The sugar will dissolve over time, so don’t worry if it is a bit grainy at the start of cooking.
- To achieve a syrup-like sauce, you will need to remove roughly a cup of liquid from the slow cooker and reduce it in a saucepan by boiling it for five to ten minutes. Reducing the sauce will make the poaching liquid sweeter and more intense.
- Another method of thickening the liquid is to use a paste of cornstarch. You can make this paste by mixing one tablespoon of water with a tablespoon of cornstarch. Simply mix this into the poaching liquid, and it will thicken.
- You’re able to core and cut the pears in half if you wish to do so. Doing this will also radically reduce the cooking time by half.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!