Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Parsnip and Blue Cheese Soup Recipe
- Prep time 20 Minutes
- Cook time: 8 Hours & 30 Minutes
- Total time 8 Hours & 50 Minutes
- Serves 8
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2L (2 qt) chicken stock
- 250ml (8.5 fl oz) heavy cream
- 125g (4.4 oz) blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- In a slow cooker, add the onion, parsnips, potatoes, bay leaf, and chicken stock.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Blitz the soup until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine the water, cornstarch and mix until smooth.
- Add the cream and the cornstarch mixture into the soup and stir.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes or until hot and thickened.
- Stir in the crumbled blue cheese.
- Season to taste.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- The brand of blue cheese that you use can profoundly impact the outcome of this soup. Too mild and it will not have enough flavor and too strong may make it have an unbearable taste of blue cheese. It’s best to pick the brand that you know and love.
- You might not need to add the cornstarch and water mixture if you’re finding the soup is already thick enough.
- Be careful when seasoning the soup as the blue cheese might make it salty. So, taste before you go to season the soup to ensure that you don’t add too much salt.
- To make this dish vegetarian-friendly use vegetable stock instead.
- Heavy cream is also known as thickened cream in some countries, such as Australia.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!