Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Osso Buco Recipe
- Prep time30 Minutes
- Cook time:8 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Total time8 Hours & 45 Minutes
- 1kg (2.2 lb) beef shanks
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, crushed
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp thyme
- 800g (1.8 lb) diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup beef stock
To make this recipe gluten-free, swap the plain flour for GF plain flour or GF cornstarch.
- In a bowl, add the flour and mix with the salt and pepper.
- Coat each slice of the beef shank in the flour.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add the oil.
- Cook the beef in batches. Cook until each side is browned (Roughly 3-5 minutes).
- In a slow cooker, add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, red wine, sugar, thyme, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, and beef stock. Mix until combined.
- Lastly, add the beef shanks so that they’re covered with the sauce.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Season to taste.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- Depending on what you prefer, you can swap the red wine for white wine.
- Flouring the osso buco should help thicken the sauce. If you find that it is still way too runny, then you always thicken it up using a cornstarch and water mixture.
- I highly recommend that you do brown the meat as it helps with both texture and flavor. If you’re in a hurry, then you can skip this step, but I highly recommend that you don’t.
- To reduce the cooking time put the slow cooker on high. This should roughly half the amount of time required to cook the meat.
- The meat on the osso buco cut is very tough, so it’s very important that you cook it for a long time. The longer you cook it, the more tender the meat will become.
- If you’re unable to get your hands-on beef shanks, then veal is a viable option.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!