Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef Recipe
- Prep time15 Minutes
- Cook time:6 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Total time6 Hours & 30 Minutes
- 500g (1 lb) beef, sliced
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¾ cups beef stock or water
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 cup carrots, sliced or grated
- Spring onions/scallions to serve
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- Add the beef, garlic, ginger, red chili flakes, soy, beef stock, brown sugar, hoisin and the carrots to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- 15 minutes before you go to serve, mix the cornstarch with 2 tbsp. water. Once well combined, mix into the slow cooker and allow to cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve & Enjoy
- As I mentioned above, make sure you use a tough piece of beef for the best results.
- If you don’t like your food spicy, then leave the chili flakes out. The chili will give the dish a bit of heat but not enough to have you grabbing the nearest glass of water.
- Try to avoid full sodium soy sauce as you may find the dish a bit too salty for your liking if you end up adding it. If regular soy is all you have, then half the amount and make up for the missing amount with some water.
- For the best results use beef stock instead of just plain water. You can use powered (made per instructions), fresh, carton or any other type of beef stock that you have around. It doesn’t matter what type you go with so don’t worry about changing the amount you use.
- If you love things on the sweeter side, then you can try increasing the amount of brown sugar to three-quarters of a cup.
- You can leave hoisin out, but it’s an essential ingredient for getting the full experience of this dish.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!