Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Minestrone Recipe
- Prep time 20 Minutes
- Cook time: 8 Hours & 30 Minutes
- Total time 8 Hours & 50 Minutes
- Serves 6-8
- 5 bacon rashers, diced
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 400g (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable or beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 zucchini cut into chunks
- 1 cup macaroni or small pasta tubes/shells
- In a pan over high heat, add the diced bacon.
- Cook the bacon until crispy.
- Once crispy, remove from the heat.
- In the slow cooker, add the crispy bacon, onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, rosemary, oregano and the bay leaves.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add the zucchini and pasta.
- Remove the bay leaves and season with salt & pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy
- It’s important not to add the zucchini or pasta until the last 30 minutes as these cook relatively fast. Adding them too early will result in overcooked pasta or mushy zucchini.
- You can cut the vegetables into any size, however, remember the smaller it is, the faster it will cook. I prefer to make it chunkier so that you end up with tender chunks of vegetables.
- You don’t have to fry off the bacon before adding it to the slow cooker, but it does help add flavor and texture to the overall minestrone.
- If you don’t have any stock, then this can be replaced with water. However, you may find that there won’t be as much flavor in the soup with water instead of stock.
- Assuming you’re in a rush, you can turn the slow cooker up to high and cook it for just 4 hours instead of 8.
- If you’re on a vegan diet, then remove the bacon from the recipe and use vegetable stock instead of beef.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!