Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Massaman Chicken Curry Recipe
- Prep time: 30 Minutes
- Cook time: 6 Hours & 30 Minutes
- Total time: 7 Hours
- Serves: 8
- 1 kg (2.2 lb) chicken thigh, cubed
- 6 Tbsp Massaman curry paste
- 500 g (1.1 lb) potatoes, large cubes
- 2 onions, quartered
- 640 ml (21.6 fl oz) coconut cream
- 1 tsp tamarind concentrate
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- In a slow cooker, add the chicken, curry paste, potatoes, onion, coconut cream, tamarind concentrate, and brown sugar. Mix until the chicken is well coated.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Mix the cornstarch and water until it forms a paste. Stir the paste into the sauce.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- The coconut cream may split due to the long cooking time. Do not worry, as adding the cornstarch will help bring it all back together.
- More vegetables such as carrots, bell peppers, or celery can be added to this curry. It is an excellent way of adding more flavor and bulking it out a little.
- You may need to skim the fat off the top of the curry before thickening it with the cornstarch mixture.
- Lime juice is an excellent alternative to tamarind concentrate.
- The cut of chicken you use is entirely up to you. I recommend chicken thigh, but chicken breasts will work just as well.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!