Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Lamb Ragu Recipe
- Prep time 20 Minutes
- Cook time: 8 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Total time 8 Hours & 35 Minutes
- Serves 8
- 200g (7 oz) bacon
- 1kg (2.2 lb) lamb roast (1.5kg/3.3 lb if bone-in)
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, large dice
- 2 celery stalks, large dice
- 2 tsp rosemary, dried
- 2 tsp thyme, dried
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 800g (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup beef stock
- 500g (1.1 lb) pappardelle pasta, cooked
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper.
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, add the bacon and fry until crispy. Once crispy, remove and put to the side.
- Add the lamb and brown on all sides. Once browned, put to the side.
- In the same frypan, add the red wine and cook for 2-3 minutes, continually stirring. Make sure you are scraping the bottom of the pan.
- In the slow cooker, add the lamb, bacon, red wine, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, rosemary, thyme, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, bay leaves and lastly the beef stock.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the lamb from the slow cooker and shred using two forks. Once shredded, return the shredded lamb to the slow cooker.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- It is hard to find lamb stock for sale at the supermarket, so unless you make some at home, you will need to use beef stock.
- I recommend using pappardelle pasta, but you can use any type of pasta that you would like.
- Cook the pasta in a pot of boiling water just before you serve rather than cooking it in the slow cooker. If you want, you can cook the pasta in the slow cooker, but be prepared to add more water as the pasta will thicken the sauce.
- You can leave the bacon out if you do not want to eat it. You will lose a bit of flavor, but the dish should be just fine without it.
- Lamb shoulder is the perfect cut of meat for this recipe.
- The bacon can be substituted with pancetta.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!