Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Ham Hocks with Peanut Sauce Recipe
- Prep time: 30 Minutes
- Cook time: 6 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Total time: 6 Hours & 45 Minutes
- Serves: 6
- 3 tsp garlic, crushed
- 3 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 tsp chili flakes
- 120 ml (4.1 fl oz) fish sauce
- 1.5 l (1.6 qt) chicken stock
- ¼ tsp white pepper, ground
- 2 Tbsp kecap manis
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 star anise
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 kg (4.4 lb) ham hocks
- 250 g (8.8 oz) brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- ½ tsp cinnamon, ground
- 125 g (4.4 oz) unsalted peanuts, chopped
- In a slow cooker, add the garlic, ginger, chili flakes, fish sauce, chicken stock, pepper, kecap manis, brown sugar, star anise, cardamom, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Add the ham hocks to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the hocks from the slow cooker.
- In a pot over high heat, add the brown sugar and fish sauce. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook without stirring for roughly 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger, chili flakes, cinnamon, peanuts, and 80ml (2.7 fl oz) of fluid from the slow cooker.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until syrupy.
- Pour over the ham hocks.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- The brown sugar can be replaced with palm sugar. Both are great, and I only recommend using palm sugar if you have some around.
- You can swap the chili flakes for sliced red chilies. If you don’t like chili at all, then you can leave it out entirely.
- Frying the ham hocks after they have been slow-cooked is an option. By frying the hocks, you will crisp the outside while still maintaining a delicious tender inside.
- The ham hocks can be replaced with another cut of pork. However, I recommend sticking to ham hocks for the best outcome.
- You’re able to reuse the stock mixture, so be sure to keep it. You can store it in the refrigerator for a few days or freeze it for months.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!