Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Custard Recipe
- Prep time: 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 2 Hours
- Total time: 2 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Serves: 5
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups milk
- Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and sugar. Once combined, slowly whisk in the milk.
- Lightly grease each ramekin with butter, then pour in the custard mixture.
- Cover each of the ramekins with foil.
- Place one of the following into the slow cooker: wire rack, foil balls, metal rings or something similar.
- Now, place the ramekins into the slow cooker. Try to get them to sit level.
- Fill the slow cooker to about halfway up the ramekins with hot water.
- Cook on low for 2 hours, or until the custard is set.
- Sprinkle with some ground nutmeg or cinnamon.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- The foil prevents water from dripping into the custard and helps distribute heat evenly.
- Placing a wire rack or similar into the slow cooker will keep the ramekins off direct heat. This method will help encourage a much more beautiful and consistent custard while preventing the bottom from burning.
- If you need the custards to cook faster, try cooking them on high for the best results. You will need to reduce the cooking time by half.
- Swap the milk for coconut milk if you want a coconut flavored custard instead.
- Keep an eye on the custards as they will start to split if you cook them for too long. I suggest checking every ten minutes once the first hour of cooking is up.
- Caster sugar is also known as superfine sugar or baker's sugar.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!