Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken Pate Recipe
- Prep time: 30 Minutes
- Cook time: 7 Hours
- Total time: 7 Hours & 30 Minutes
- Makes: ~2kg (4.4 lb)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, crushed
- 1.5 kg (3.3 lb) chicken livers
- 2 Tbsp thyme
- 2 Tbsp dill
- 1 Tbsp orange rind
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup tawny port wine
- 400 g (14.1 oz) unsalted butter, cubed
- In a slow cooker, add the onion, garlic, chicken livers, thyme, dill, orange rind, orange juice, and port wine. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Turn to high and leave the lid slightly ajar for 1 hour.
- Transfer the contents of the slow cooker to a food processor. Blend, while gradually adding the butter. Blend until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add to ramekins leaving a 2cm (0.7 in) gap, allow to cool.
- Seal the ramekins with a layer of melted butter or by using some plastic wrap.
- Place into a refrigerator.
- Serve & enjoy.
- I do not suggest altering the recipe too much as it might have an impact on the result. For example, if you add too many liquids, then the pate will never set properly.
- Once you have finished blending the pate mixture, you will notice it is quite runny. Do not stress as once it starts to cool, it will thicken quite a bit.
- Chicken livers are typically available at your local butcher. You may need to ask if you cannot see them on display.
- You can use other types of liver. For example, duck liver is a pretty good substitute for chicken liver.
- If you do not have port wine, then you can substitute it with another sweet wine. Such as a late-harvest Riesling, Chardonnay, or a dessert white wine.
- Leaving the lid slightly ajar is not super important, but it helps reduce the liquid slightly.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!