Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Layered Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- Prep time 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 4 Hours
- Total time 4 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Serves 4-6
- 500g (17.5 oz.) shredded chicken
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 packet 30g (1 oz.) taco seasoning
- 375g (13 oz.) enchilada sauce
- 10 corn tortillas
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Lightly spray a slow cooker with oil. Add about 2 Tbsp. of enchilada sauce with 1 Tbsp. water to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add 2 tortillas on top of the sauce. Now layer as followed: ~125g (4.5 oz.) shredded chicken, 1/4 red onion, 1/4 red bell pepper, ~2 tsp. of taco seasoning, ~ 2 Tbsp. enchilada sauce, 1 cup cheese, 2 tortillas and repeat until you run out of chicken or tortillas. Finish with 2 tortillas on the top and top with any remaining salsa and cheese. You should get 3-4 layers in total depending on the slow cooker size.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve & Enjoy
- Feel free to add more cheese if you absolutely love it. The more cheese, the better!
- If you don’t have a round slow cooker, then you can tear the tortillas so that they will layer properly.
- Don’t forget that you can make taco seasoning at home with just some regular household spices and herbs. The best thing is that you can alter the ingredients to suit your taste buds better.
- You can use just one tortilla per layer, but I have found using two really helps reduce the chicken enchilada stack from becoming soggy.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!