Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy Recipe
- Prep time 20 Minutes
- Cook time: 8 Hours & 30 Minutes
- Total time 8 Hours & 50 Minutes
- Serves 6
- 1kg (2.2 lb) chicken thigh
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 & ½ cups chicken stock
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup cream
- 5 Tbsp cornstarch
- 5 Tbsp water
To ensure that the gravy is gluten-free, make sure you use gluten-free cornstarch and gluten-free Worcestershire sauce.
- In a slow cooker, add all the ingredients except for the cream, cornstarch, and water.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred the chicken in the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch and water until it is smooth.
- Pour the cream and cornstarch mixture into the chicken gravy and stir.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes or until hot and thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- You can use a different cut of chicken such as chicken breast. It mainly just comes down to personal preference. I find chicken thigh cooks a little better in the slow cooker.
- If you’re not a fan of wine, then you can simply swap it out for chicken stock. However, it does help add a fair bit of flavor.
- Make sure you season the gravy otherwise you might find the gravy a bit bland.
- You can adjust the cornstarch if you want a runnier or thicker gravy. The current amount will give you a pretty good consistency but feel free to tinker.
- For the best results, use homemade chicken stock rather than the powder mixed with water.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!