Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Caramel Recipe
- Prep time: 5 Minutes
- Cook time: 6 Hours
- Total time: 6 Hours & 5 Minutes
- Serves: 13 (2 Tbsp)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Remove the labels from the condensed milk can.
- In a slow cooker, place the can of condensed milk.
- Cover the can completely with water, make sure the water is 2-cm (0.7 in) or higher than the can. The can should be completely submerged.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Cool completely before opening.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- It is important to make sure the condensed milk can remains submerged throughout cooking. Since the slow cooker is a sealed unit, there should be little to no evaporation, so you should not need to add more water throughout cooking. However, it may still be a good idea to check on it every now and then.
- Do not worry about the cans exploding, as they can resist the amount of pressure generated from the water's heat. Just make sure you have the cans entirely submerged in the water.
- Make sure you remove the labels as they will become very wet and can get quite messy. It is best just to get rid of the labels before placing the cans in the water.
- Turn the slow cooker to high and cook the caramel for three hours if you need it faster.
- If you need the caramel to be a bit runnier, then you can add some cream. Slowly pour the cream in until you get the consistency you want. You should do this after the caramel has cooled and not while it is still hot; otherwise, it might not mix very well.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!