Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
- Prep time 30 Minutes
- Cook time: 8 Hours
- Total time 8 Hours & 30 Minutes
- Serves 8
- 1kg (2.2 lb) chuck roast, cubed
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 250g (9 oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl
- Coat the cubed beef in the seasoned flour.
- In a frying pan over high heat, add the oil. Once hot, sear the beef. Once browned, place the meat to the side.
- Add the red wine to the frying pan and cook for 1 minute. Transfer the wine and beef to a slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir.
- Cook on low 8 hours.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- If the stew requires a little more thickening, then combine roughly two tablespoons of cornstarch with water until it forms a paste. Pour this mixture into the slow cooker and stir. It should thicken, repeat until it is thick enough for you.
- You can cut the vegetables smaller if you prefer a less chunky stew. It will still be delicious, but you won’t have the delightful chunks of vegetables.
- You can skip the browning of the meat and the cooking of the wine if you're very low on time. Simply add it all to the slow cooker instead.
- There are tons more vegetables that you can add to stew so feel free to experiment a little. For example, some pumpkin will work very nicely in a stew.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!