Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Beef Madras Curry Recipe
- Prep time 30 Minutes
- Cook time: 8 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Total time 8 Hours & 45 Minutes
- Serves 6
- 3 tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 tsp black pepper, ground
- ½ tsp cinnamon, ground
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp turmeric, ground
- ¼ cup coriander, ground
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ cup cumin, ground
- ¼ cup malt vinegar
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1kg (2.2 lb) beef, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 400g (14 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
If you need this recipe to be gluten-free then make sure you use some apple cider vinegar instead of malt vinegar.
- Firstly, in a bowl, add all the curry paste ingredients, stir until a smooth paste.
- In a frypan over high heat, quickly brown the beef. Once browned put to the side.
- In the same frypan, add the curry paste and cook until fragrant. Approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer the beef and the curry paste to a slow cooker. Next, add the onion, tomato paste, chili powder, crushed tomatoes and the beef stock.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- You can skip the browning of the beef and cooking of the curry paste. However, I do find that you will lose a lot of flavor and texture by doing so.
- If you want to use a store-bought madras curry paste simply add ¾ cup of the paste instead of making the homemade version. I still highly recommend making the homemade madras curry paste.
- I highly recommend adjusting the curry powder if you don't like spicy food. Two teaspoons will give you a hot curry, anything over that will make your mouth burn. If you don't like spicy food, then I highly recommend lowering the quantity.
- If you find that the curry is a little too spicy, then try having some dairy with it. Yogurt always goes well with curry.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!