Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Beef Cheeks Recipe
- Prep time: 20 Minutes
- Cook time: 8 Hours
- Total time: 8 Hours & 20 Minutes
- Serves: 6
- 1 kg (2.2 lb) beef cheeks
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 Tbsp garlic crushed
- 2 carrots roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 500 g (1.1 lb) mushrooms, halved
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- In a frypan over high heat, quickly brown the beef cheeks. Once brown, put to the side.
- Add the red wine into the same frypan and cook for 2 minutes, stirring continually.
- In a slow cooker, add the onions, garlic, carrots, brown sugar, tomato paste, bay leaves, thyme, and the mushrooms. Lastly, add the beef cheeks, wine, and beef stock.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or until the beef cheek is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the cornstarch and water to form a paste. Slowly mix into the slow cooker. Allow to cook on high for a further 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- If you’re running low on time, then you can throw everything into the slow cooker. You might notice a few differences by skipping the frypan steps but nothing too drastic.
- On the flip side, if you have time, then you can cook the mushrooms in some butter before adding them to the slow cooker. This extra frying will help add a ton of flavor to the dish.
- You can try using a variety of mushrooms to help add a bit more flavor and texture to the dish. For example, you can try using some shiitake mushrooms as well.
- Beef cheek can feel a bit tough at first. However, you will find that when you go to eat, it will be incredibly tender. Just make sure you cook it for long enough.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!