Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli Recipe
- Prep time 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 6 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Total time 6 Hours & 30 Minutes
- Serves 4-6
- 500g (1 lb) chuck beef, cut into strips
- 2 onions, quartered
- 3 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp. ginger, minced
- ¾ cup beef stock
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch, to thicken
- 4 cups broccoli florets, room temperature
- Firstly, quickly brown the beef in a frying pan.
- In the slow cooker, add the onions, beef, garlic, ginger, oyster sauce, beef stock, soy, brown sugar, and the sesame oil.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- 30 minutes before you go to serve, mix the cornstarch with 2 Tbsp of water. Mix the cornstarch mixture into the slow cooker along with the broccoli.
- Cook until thickened and the broccoli is warm, roughly 30 minutes.
- Serve & Enjoy
- Make sure you don’t add the broccoli at the start of cooking otherwise it will go like mush and become an ugly looking green. It’s still edible but won’t be as nice in texture and flavor.
- Low sodium soy sauce is a recommendation however you can still use normal soy. I would recommend halving the amount you use as it may make the dish too salty.
- When you put the broccoli into the slow cooker is probably a good time to get some rice cooking. Once the rice is done, the beef and broccoli in the slow cooker should be ready to eat.
- If you like a runny sauce, then reduce the amount of cornstarch down to just one tablespoon.
- You can use frozen or fresh broccoli. If you're using frozen, then make sure you defrost it before adding it to the slow cooker.
- If you don't have chuck beef then basically any tough cut of beef will be fine. Plenty of people use flank steak with great results.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!