Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Apple Butter Recipe
- Prep time: 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 12 Hours
- Total time: 12 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Serves: 260 1-2 Tbsp Serves
- 2.7 kg (6 lb) gala apples or similar, peeled, cored, and cubed
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ Tbsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp allspice, ground
- ½ tsp cloves, ground
- ½ tsp nutmeg, ground
- In the slow cooker, add all the ingredients and stir them together.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Using an immersion blender or similar, puree the mixture until smooth. This step is also the perfect time to adjust the flavors so that it is more to your liking. For example, adding more spices or sugars.
- Cook for a further 4 hours on low in the slow cooker with the lid off.
- Once the 4 hours are up, the liquid should be thickened, if not, you may need to cook it for longer.
- Transfer to sterilized glass jars and seal appropriately.
- Store in the fridge until needed. It should last two weeks or longer if stored correctly.
- If the apple butter is too runny, make sure you have removed the lid from the slow cooker to allow the liquid to evaporate. It can take a few hours for the mix to thicken. I would avoid using a cornstarch mixture with this condiment.
- Once the apple butter has thickened, you may find it will start to boil and splash. You may want to make sure there is nothing too close to the slow cooker that you do not want to become dirty.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!