Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions Recipe
- Prep time 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 12 Hours
- Total time 12 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Serves 8
- 1kg (2.2 lb) onions, sliced
- 30g (1 oz) unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- In a slow cooker, add the onions and scatter the cubed butter over the top.
- Scatter the brown sugar and the balsamic vinegar over the top.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Leave the lid slightly ajar and cook for a further 4 hours. The liquid should evaporate and become thick and jammy.
- Serve & Enjoy
- Don’t stress too much on the thickness of the slices of onion. The long cooking time will ensure that all the onion will be cooked over the course of a few hours.
- You can leave the balsamic vinegar and the brown sugar out of the recipe, but the caramelized onions will not be as flavorsome.
- If the onions don’t appear to be cooking fast enough, then you can turn the heat up to high. This heat increase will dramatically reduce the cooking time of these onions.
- This dish will produce a strong onion smell, so if you're not a fan of onion, make sure you have the slow cooker cooking under a ventilation fan.
- Freeze the caramelized onion in ice cube trays. This method is excellent if you only ever need a single serving and not an entire jar full.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!